Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 14:24:20 -0400
Hi all,

One of the most contentious issues is: how to distinguish between natural and artificial. It gets pretty confused when you get into stuff like natural food, nature preserves, etc. But it can also be pretty distinct. For example, when I was in grade school, we went to an archaeological dig.

The scientists showed us hand tools. At first, they just looked like rocks, but we learned to tell between plain rocks and rocks that had been deliberately shaped by human beings. Maybe among a million rocks, you could find one like that, but if there are a whole bunch of them at one site, that most certainly is human work.

The point is, the rock is a natural resource while the tool is a product of human creativity. Certainly the human brain is the product of evolution but it does not follow that the products of that intelligence are also the products of evolution. Evolution produced minds that can solve problems on the spot; not waiting for the solution to come about eventually.

PLB