From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:46:24 -0600
Hello All,
National animal ID is nothing new to most people involved with livestock.

I have been installing the microchips for several years in my exotic
livestock. I had one installed by a vet but quickly found they were easy to
install and could be bought for one fifth what vets charge.

Right now the chips run around $10. (over fifty dollars installed by local
vet) The cost needs to be in the 10-25 cent range before their use will be
widespread in my opinion. The reader runs around $200 U.S..

I never bought a reader. If the vet which checks the animal at the state
fair says he can't find the chip (which has never happened yet) I would
simple place a new chip. Takes me about thirty seconds now.

The fight in Missouri right now is over the area of placement. The vets want
a hard to place area. (left front leg)! Livestock owners  want an easy to
place microchip area!(loose skin  behind left ear)

Never has use in beekeeping ever came up and I have had many discussions on
NAIS with the powers that be over the years.
We fought NAIS for years. First place they started was entry into state
fairs and in registered animals. Next will be entire herds.
Ear tags & tatoos will still comply with NAIS.

Cost has been my only reason for fighting the process.

Bob