From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2018 11:31:44 -0500
On the insect decline topic, the following paper has received a lot of
airplay:

 Rob,  we debated that one last year quite a bit.  Interesting report  Read the details carefully and the authors summary!

They mention that the surrounding farm ground may be the problem.     BUT  because it may be acting as a sin  and actually drawing away the biomass, as well as the potential for it being related to pesticides.    The key word there of course is may!..  its an interesting study  blown up and a bit convoluted,  and may or may not be even remotely accurate with whats going on in other regions.

My question in reading it was  "what biomass?"  mosquitoes?  Then it would be a win,  as  would a decline in some species being viewed as a success. I know here in the Midwest  a decline of things such as rootworms would be hailed as a great victory.  If every Japanese beetle in the US died,  the bimass loss wouold be huge,  but I suspect not many would really upset.  Unfortunately  I did not get a reply when I asked if there was any data on what insects were involved.

Charles