From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:10:21 -0000
There have now been so many posts about neonicotinoids and, as far as I can
see, little has been proved one way or the other.  There have certainly been
very serious incidents, such as the one in Germany, which are clearly
explainable - but in so many other cases the jury might be said to be out.
Trials have been conducted, but many have found reasons to criticize their
validity - and for many of us it is difficult to judge what is right and
what is wrong.

Certainly the potency of these new products is 'scary' to many of us and I
find their systemic action together with their persistance in soil to be
very worrying.  There has been much talk of their effect on bees immune
systems and also about ways in which we might boost those immune systems.  I
have to ask: what about all the other insects - who is going to protect
them?

It seems to me that until we are able to get definitive answers that most,
if not all, can accept, then we have a duty to suspend the use of these
products on the precautionary principle.

Best wishes

Peter