From:
"Rev. Mike Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:49:33 -0500
>   waldig <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Ahlert,
>
> Would you know if there are photos of this design on the web ? This system
> makes a lot of sense. My only question is: since there are no honey supers
> in this setup, how do you remove the frames for extracting honey ?

 I have two Langstroth hives and two TBH's, I love the Langstroths for
their "standard"ness... but the TBH's are my favorite because they are
so easy to work.

 When I harvest my frames from the TBH, I use it mostly as comb honey
because it isn't conducive to being spin extracted. One option however
is to build a press and basically mash the comb, extracting the honey
that way and ending up with fairly clean wax as the press is pretty good
at getting most of the honey out.

 Then I rinse my wax cakes in fairly warm water and use the resulting
honey water (plus some extracted honey) for a must to make mead out of.
The wax is used by myself and my friends in our re-enactment group (we
reenact the middle ages as a hobby) and the honey is also used primarily
amoungst myself and my friends. (Sadly, I can no longer eat honey like I
once did... being diabetic sucks)

 Check out http://www.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm for lots of fine info on
TBH's.

 Mike
--
Rev. Mike Martin    Lord Hrothgar the Smith
http://members.home.net/mmartin139/