From:
Karen Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:22:17 -0400
The subject started under EO's and coconut oil, now I am onto to chemical resistance.

I am glad to write that  I have shaken allot of bees in alcohol from our other bee yards and there is hardly a mite to be found so our severe problem is in one area. Whew! I will be gathering bees from the hive with the biggest mite load to conduct a chemical resistance test. I read to put bees in a jar with a 3/8 X 1” piece of Apistan strip on an index card for six hours and shake them over white paper. I can calculate the percent of mites killed compared to the amount of mites left on the bees by washing the bees in alcohol.
Ohio State Extension web site that suggests this test
http://www.honeybeelab.com/wiki/Fact_Sheet:Controlling_varroa_mites_in_a_bee_hive

I know I can shake them in three weeks to see how the strips have done but I would rather check now and then again in three weeks.  I will write again for those who are curious on the results.

Already thinking about drone brood for control for next year because I would rather not use chemicals. We are going to use up some older frame parts and make drone brood frames through the winter. My friend has had a bee supply store for ever and the attic of the shop is full of wooden parts from every type of frame invented so we plan to use some up for drone frames.

Karen