Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2016 13:33:26 -0500

A simple treatment for the mites would be to cut smaller strips of Apivar
from one of the standard strips.  Place the equivalent of ½ strip in the
hive if there are two or three frames of bees.
----

I have attached a picture of the observation hive - a Draper revolving hive.
The nature center does a good job of developing a display around it  The
room is kept warm through the winter so insulation seems unnecessary.  They
do cover It by hanging a towel over it.

In earlier years it did quite well sending of a swarm I would capture after
it overwintered.  That has changed and, yes, the dead hive does show all the
characteristics of PMS.  That is why I am looking for a means of treatment.
I did not know if I could just scale down a treatment dose based on the four
frames in the hive.  It is also different from a nuc in that the frames are
vertical.  I am also in search of a means of introducing the treatment.  The
Draper hive is rather secure making it challenging to sneak a treatment
strip in.

Juanse suggested treating through the entrance tube with OA.  An interesting
thought.  The entrance is about three feet long, 1.5 inches in diameter, and
slopes down.  (The indoor hive height had to be lowed due to ADA demands
after it was installed!)  I expect that might make it difficult for the
vapors to access the brood area.

I also need to be aware of the visitors to the exhibit.  Having a treatment
that would no longer have an odor the morning after a treatment would be
great.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Larry