From:
Bob & Pat Fanning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob & Pat Fanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 09:46:03 -0500
Hi Rodney,

Don't worry about it.    If you have a queen excluder, you can place it
under the super with brood AFTER MAKING SURE THE QUEEN IS BELOW .   Let the
brood hatch, then harvest the honey.   The only problem caused by brood in
the super you want to harvest is that you can't harvest honey without
killing the brood unless you wait until late fall to harvest.    A more
minor problem is that the comb will need PDB when stored this winter because
the wax moth feeds on the dark combs left by brood.

If you have a weak colony in a one story, you can move this super to it and
increase their food stores and give them young bees.

Queen excluders are just for our convenience.   Many refer to them as honey
excluders.   I am convinced you will get more honey from a given colony
without them.   I like the luxury of harvesting when I want to and not have
to worry about brood.

Good luck,
Bob

Bob Fanning
Huntsville,  Alabama USA
President Madison County Beekeepers Association (ALA. USA)
See Our WebPages at www.alabees.com