Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:29:08 -0500
I think some beekeepers might want it stopped, but I don't know what they
> have to offer as an alternative.
>

> Of course this substance appears to be very much more benign than many of
> the previous ones, some of which killed or damaged beekeepers as well as
> bees in a fairly short time,

The key issues in this discussion.

> but we should not assume it is 'safe' or 'harmless' until we have better
> evidence.  IMO.  We once thought that PCBs were safe and harmless and they
> were everywhere.  Now we think differently.

Who says it is safe or harmless? The discussion to date recognizes it is a
pesticide and not to use it around bees, but it is less harmful than
expected.

When you get into combining pesticides and herbicides and measuring the
impact, it may be real world (combining) but is it in accordance with label
instructions? You can only test so far and the costs involved in bringing
any pesticide to market is high enough as is.

What is interesting is how many countries have already approved it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine