From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 10:47:10 +0100
Hi all

We are in danger of ascribing human values of sight and hearing to bees.

They have sensitivities in areas that we humans do not.

They have sensitivity in the region of electromagnetic radiation that we
call the "visible" spectrum but it does not coincide with our range, they
see no red but can see UV & IR.

We see the interior of a hive as "Dark" but infra red penetates wood to a
certain degree and would illuminate the interior with infra red light
(during daylight).

We see bees propolise a mesh vent in a coverboard which is itself kept dark
by a roof... yet when they need ventilation they "know" where the holes are
because they will unblock them. (this may be infra red but I am guessing).

Fish have a good idea of what is around them by electrostatic and
electromagnetic field detection (lateral line).

Bees may be able to "visualise" their environment by smell... we do not
consider these as "sight" but they serve the same purpose... that of making
the subject "aware" of its surroundings.

Bees may not see or hear what we do but thay are able to make good sense out
of the information that they do  receive.

Regards From:- Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping and Bee Breeding, http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman