From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:29:54 -0600
> Until then, NEW evidence shows that there is no such thing as SMR
> honeybees.
> http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=178712

Well, I think the article you cited does not actually confirm your
assertions.  What it seems to show is that the effect that they were looking
for, and calling SMR was, in fact, mostly or entirely an hygienic effect and
may not exist.

BUT the SMR bees still exist, and have been incorporated into other lines,
and they *are* different from Spivak's HYG bees.  The latter reportedly
cannot suppress varroa very well, but the SMR bees do suppress mite
reproduction quite well -- just not the way the researchers initially
thought.

allen

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of
the old ones.
            -- John Cage