From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:31:14 -0800
Lloyd Spears wrote:

> I certainly think the person who discovered DDT deserved a Nobel
> Prize.  How many millions of people were saved from death from
> Yellow Fever and Malaria?

Malaria is still killing people by the millions. The best guess
estimate is that at least one million people die each year due to
the lack of use of DDT.

A recent article in Science News
http://www.sciencenews.org/20000701/bob2.asp explains
the situation in some detail. Excerpts:

"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), each year
another 400 million people come down with the parasitic disease.
This newly infected group equals the combined populations of
the United States, Canada, and Mexico."

"Though cures exist, malaria claims several million lives every
year. Deaths occur most often among malnourished people in
countries that can't afford adequate treatment. WHO has joined
several other UN agencies and health organizations in advocating
the retention of DDT for malaria control."

"Despite the support of such organizations, politics and economics
may soon make DDT unavailable in many malaria-stricken regions,
including the places where it's needed most."

"last summer the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) campaigned for
 a 2007 target for DDT elimination worldwide."

Paul Cherubini