From:
Marc Patry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 15:32:47 -0400
I'm involved in a beekeeping project in the tropical state of Campeche in
the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico.  Until '87, beekeeping was a big thing,
practised by everyone and his dog.  It provided a good source of income
for relatively little effort (keeping 12 hives in rural Mexico provides
one with the equivalent of a minimum wage salary).  After the arrival of
africanized bees, most beekeepers in my area gave up.  The bees were too
much of a hassle, required too much care, it was too hot working with
all  that protective gear in the tropical climate.

They are trying to re-introduce the practice of beekeeping now.  I'd like
to know if anyone can direct me to any resource (people, publications
etc.) that they have found particularly useful in dealing with
africanized bees (genetics, management...)

Also, the locals there always place their hive in full sunlight.  I
suggested they provide some shade and they refused, saying that hive
don't do well under the forest canopy.  Anyone ever heard of this?

Cheers,

Marc Patry
Ottawa