From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:56:50 -0500
I got a phone call from a CA migratory beekeeper today who had originally purchased Aussie packages for the first 3 years. Now he is vigorously opposing the importation. He said the chalkbrood was the worst he has ever seen and 70% losses due to varroa were typical before fall of the first season.

As the A. Cerana issue unfolded he became increasingly alarmed and is now a vocal opponent.

He pointed out to me that a general liability bond of perhaps a $100 million would be appropriate to require of the importers of Aussie packages to protect our industry in case an unwanted mite or pest importation occurred.

While we never could pinpoint the source of varroa this time around locating the source of a new pest that originates in almonds may be much more obvious and direct.  This sounds like a reasonable way to protect our industry. Other opinions?

Can you imagine the financial impact of the accidental importation of another pest that wreaked as much havoc as varrora?

Also he brought up a conversation with a well known USDA bee researcher who while discussing this issue pointed out varrora has jumped more then 100 miles before in ways that were unexplained in countries where it first appeared. This 100 mile radius being used in Australia then is not much of a barrier is it to protect us from another pest?

I am finding out my aversion to these imports is widely shared in the industry as the calls and emails come in thanking me for pushing this issue.  In fact its getting hard to find any proponents who don't seem to have a dotted line financial interest.