Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:11:13 -0800
?> The beeks I have spoke with all use powdered eggs. Some only food grade
and others animal grade  which is big bucks cheaper but all are pricey and
drive up sub costs.

Any opinion as to whether it matters what kind?  What have you heard?

> Pre made patties are convenient but also have drawbacks. I use premade
> only when I need in a hurry. Otherwise I make my own. Shipping costs
> outweigh the labor costs...

Yes.  That's why it pays to pool orders and get free shipping.

> and my help can crank out a bunch of patties in a hurry using a mixer and
> pumping feed from a tote. The slow part is actually making the patty.

I could never manage to make money making my own patties and I tried several
options before the Global guys came along.  When  I added up all the
management time, getting the supplies and having leftovers -- not to mention
lost time in the field -- making patties was costing me a fortune.

> I use the wrapper made for handling donuts (from Costco or Sams) which
> come in a box of 500.  Others make a big loaf and cut sections. Complete
> details at Keith Jarrets web site.

Been there, done that.

> Part of the problem today is many people want to make money off
> beekeepers.

That is the truth and I cannot see why beekeepers actually thank a supplier
for discouraging regulators from allowing beekeepers to use formic, then pay
a supplier to package and sell formic to them when they could make their
own -- customised for their own needs -- for pennies on the dollar.   Now I
see that a big chemical company wants to sell beekeepers thymol.  I bet it
will be at a huge mark-up and beekeepers won't be allowed to make their own
for lots of bogus reasons.

Not only that, now a lot of research done with the taxpayers money is not
made public and goes to create "products" which enrich the researchers,
supply companies or bureaucratic institutions at the beekeepers expense and
which are costly enough to make beekeepers think twice before spending.

> OK when the cost is close (as perhaps global patties seem to be) but like
> with thymol, formic and oxalic all most beekeepers need is the material
> and the knowledge.

Yup, but beekeepers just seem to lie down and take it.  That is for the
treatments which are visible.  As for the ones which are not apparent to
someone opening the hives, look out!

> Beekeepers the world over have been using these products successfully for
> many many years.

Yup.

> I personally would not recommend beekeepers moving from sideline to
> commercial beekeeping at this time.

Especially with borrowed money.  It seems some people can make money no
matter what.