From:
MelMark ZQB <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 04:36:56 -0700
> >Beekeeper organizations must make an effort to keep their members informed and steer them away from the "bad ideas" that are circulating around.

I think it all comes down to honesty- honestly :)
I've had my fair share of run-ins with beeks who seem to know it all- myself included on occasion- hee hee (though I am the first to admit that I am no expert!!!).

Communication has to change. One area beek in particular loves to show off and brag about his honey harvests and his bees and his business and how much he makes, etc- his new trucks, his new wharehouse, yada yada yada. And while I can admire his zeal and perservence, bottom line is- he is a liar. Lies about the truth, which is- he doesn't know much but tries to flaunt what he has.

My biggest frustration has been that this particular beekeeper passes on misinformation and out and out falsehoods- even about the stock that he has (which he sells to newbees who gobble up everything he says!). I find this to be a big character flaw and above that- a great injustice to neighboring beekeepers. It really aggravates me as I have a problem keeping my mouth shut (I am rather opinionated- like most other beekeepers :)

I always suggest to newbees to find several mentors- more than one! so that they can get varying perspectives and practices and come to a better informed decision on their own- of course after reading as much as they possibly can as well....

P.S. I graduated from St. John's College which has a Great Books curriculum. All we studied was "old" work and writings. I really appreciated that style of learning as it has helped me in numerous ways; namely in preservation of knowledge (we actually translated the bible and also deduced on paper Einstein's theorems instead of just memorizing the equations). Us "Johnnies" have a saying that is, "that at St. John's, I learned how to learn."

On the other hand, my philosophy degree isn't really paying my bills right now so learning about the past can only pay for the future so much.... in depth of information I suppose.

Melanie Kirby