Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 05:41:38 -0600
Hi all,

This is a follow-up on the Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum Cuspidatum)
which apparently has proven to be an excellent source of nectar for
beekeepers (NH beekeeper reported 18.5lbs gain in a day!).  Before you
introduce the plant to your area, be sure to read the research I've
found below:

From my talk with the local extension agency here in Colorado, and the
available reading materials on the web, the Japanese Knotweed can be a
severe threat to other  ground cover in water-laden or high-humidity
areas.   It can grow up to 4 ft. per month.  The plant is very
successful in drowning out surrounding natural landscape.  However, like
any bamboo related species, it needs a good deal of water to propagate.
If you live in a humid state, the plant will run wild.  Most the coastal
areas have named this plant a severe threat as a noxious weed.  (State
of Oregon - 'A'-rated noxious weed; Tennessee - Rank 1-'severe
threat';Washington State - Class-C noxious weed "weeds are already
present in most areas of the state, and control is always at the local
level") and the list goes on & on.

Here's a USDA map to see if Poygonum Cuspidatum grows in your area:
http://plants.usda.gov/plants/fr_mapgen.cgi?symbol=POCU6&rtnscr=qurymenu.html&rtnpar=

Not that the knotweed is unpleasant in it's growing characteristics, but
that it's 'invasive' & has a 'high potential to spread'.

Here's a picture of the plant below:
http://herb.biol.uregina.ca/pl-pics/holland/polycus1.jpg

Spading or pulling the knotweed will actually help multiply it as the
plant is root propagated  (& the roots grow up to two feet below the
surface).  Elimination of the plant includes removing all traces of the
root or repetitive cultivation.

Here's a great description of the plant characteristics:

http://www.webriver.com/tn-eppc/manual/polygo.htm

For Colorado, the local extension agency actually recommended the weed
if it suited my purposes because the surrounding dry areas and hard-pan
will contain it's growth.  However, the spring-fed areas of my apiary
are likely to grow unheeded and extremely hard to eliminate.

Anyone else have anything to add on this plant or recommendations for a
fair substitute for beekeeping?

Matthew Westall in Colorado