From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 20:25:21 -0700
Whether or not the honey could be contaminated depends on lots of things.
What kinds of chemical plants are these?  Which way does the wind blow?
If the terrain flat or mountainous?

All of this makes a big difference.  Good news is that honey is hard to
contaminate, at least to levels that would constitute a human health
hazard.  However, can't say the same for the forager bees or the pollen
collected - but again, a lot depends on the nature of those chemical
plants.  We've seen bee deaths near copper and lead smelters and phosphate
plants.  Also have seen some sick animals and the occassional person.
On the other hand, bees may abandon the hives near a chemical plant
releasing sulphur compounds.  Our local pulpmill release dioxans, but they
probably aren't toxic to bees at the levels released, although they may
not be good for humans who live nearby and breathe the air for 20 yrs or
more.

Jerry Bromenshenk
The University of Montana

P.S. We address some of these pollutant issues on our web page

http://grizzly.umt.edu/biology/bees