From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:00:18 -0600
> First I want to say Bob should be saying capensis or capensis-like
> traits not genes

Thanks for making that distinction, Blane.

> The traits reported were small
> dark bees that invade other honey bee colonies and disrupt the colony by
> becoming pseudo-queens and the colonies becoming african or dwindling.

I remember the discussion of invasion by queens and by groups of bees etc.,
but don't recall the reference to any resultant dwindling.

This -- AFAIK -- is the difference between the capensis situation in
Africa, and what is being observed in Arizona.  The problem in Arizona,
again according to my limited understanding, is that it is hard, if not
impossible to maintain a desired stock -- other than the feral stock -- in
managed hives without constant vigilance.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/