From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:44:35 -0600
>?> None of the available subs contain the expensive powdered eggs most
> homemade formulas used today use and for one simple reason that using the
> eggs would drive the cost of the subs up.
>
> Actually, the reason has more to do with spoilage than anything else.

I have never bought the powdered eggs but quite a few beeks buy in bulk and
resale the eggs. Dave Hackenberg for one.

The beeks I have spoke with all use powdered eggs. Some only food grade and
others animal grade  which is big bucks cheaper but all are pricey and drive
up sub costs.

So if I am understanding correctly powdered eggs will not keep long in a
powdered sub mix as sold in the U.S.? I understand about once mixed the mix
needs used.

Pre made patties are convenient but also have drawbacks. I use premade only
when I need in a hurry. Otherwise I make my own. Shipping costs outweigh the
labor costs and my help can crank out a bunch of patties in a hurry using a
mixer and pumping feed from a tote. The slow part is actually making the
patty.

I use the wrapper made for handling donuts (from Costco or Sams) which come
in a box of 500.

Others make a big loaf and cut sections. Complete details at Keith Jarrets
web site.

Part of the problem today is many people want to make money off beekeepers.
OK when the cost is close (as perhaps global patties seem to be) but like
with thymol, formic and oxalic all most beekeepers need is the material and
the knowledge.

Beekeepers the world over have been using these products successfully for
many many years.

Chemical companies have pushed their way to the front of the line at bee
meetings touting the *ease* of their products (playing down the drawbacks)
and sadly most of these hard chemicals have left beeks with issues.

Despite almonds many beeks are still struggling to stay in business. Losses
yearly between 30-50% are like an albatross around their neck. Package bee
prices are rising every year. Cost for fuel & sugar are rising and expected
to go higher. many unknowns loom ahead like the 2011 tax codes , new food
regulations soon to be implemented and employee health cares expenses.

I personally would not recommend beekeepers moving from sideline to
commercial beekeeping at this time. I have spoke to beeks which plan on
downsizing next year. running less hives until they get a handle on hive
loss and expenses level off.

The bright side of things for food producers is food prices are rising. bad
for consumers but will help many food producing industries like honey.
growers which produce almonds, apples, blueberries and the countless crops
which need bees will expand when their products bring decent money which
means a need for more hives (at higher pollination rates).

bob