From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:05:37 -0500
hello All,

it is tax payer
> dollars, just as all federally funded science is tax payer dollars.

My friend Peter seemed to indicate otherwise in his post. $500,000 is not
ten million dollars.

I doubt in today's environment tax payer dollars are involved. I would say
money borrowed (with interest) from say China paid for  the research. If
indeed is tax payer dollars then as a tax payer let me say we have other
pressing needs for ten million dollars than for this research. In other
words as a tax payer we will in my opinion  never  get the return on
the money to justify such research.

The research will be shared with huge corporations which will try to find
ways to make money off the research to sell to the U.S. consumer or give
freely to other countries without charge. I know all the ways the system
works and also lobbyists from Harvard pushed this through.

Is this real change in Washington we can believe in?

But  NSF
> money would never be used to bail out/pay damages to beekeepers.

My point (which you seem to miss) is that while all this government waste is
going on real issues are going unfunded.

> I'd say that the bee industry hasn't lost anything, and with this type of
> innovative, never attempted research, the outcomes can be surprising. We
> may
> yet  see knowledge about bees that could well serve the bee industry -
> although  that's not the central purpose of the program.

I agree that funding would be OK *if* we had a surplus of money to pay for
the program instead of being trillions in debt.

My first step in solving Washington's problems would be to cut up
Washington's
credit card!

bob