From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:38:07 -0700
Dr. Thomas Bell of Missoula, Montana has done some work along this line,
also published a brief note about the high incidence of allergy among
family members of beekeepers.  I don't know that any reports such as you
request have been published.

I do know that two of my students became allergic to honey bee stings,
got the shots, and went back to work with bees.

I also know a beekeeper whose kids got the shots, helped one, not the
other.

Dr. Bell says that the traditional skin scratch test may or may not be a
reliable predictor of allergy.  People vary a lot, and some have nasty
reactions without responding to the test.  Others experience a bad episode
and then don't the next time.

However, it has been our experience that once set down the path of
sensitivity, the shots are your best bet for turning things around.

Over the years, I have met beekeepers across the U.S. who have had someone
in the family become sensitive, get the shots, and go back to working with
bees.

The most extreme case, from a presumably reliable source, described a
woman who was so allergic that she had violent reactions to any amount of
venom - so the shots were not an option.  Reportedly, the Mayo Clinic gave
her a massive blood transfusion from a beekeeper, than started the series
of shots.  Can't say that I talked to the woman, but my source claimed to
have known her.

The older whole bee extracts were pretty variable in success.  The pure
venom extracts seem to work much better.  Pricey, but possibly worth the
cost and trouble if you truly want to keep working with bees.

Of course, Dr. Bell cautions that it may not work for all.  The people on
my crew who have had the shots, carry a sting kit.  Oh yes, one now also
works with Bumblebees and has been stung and hasn't had any serious
reactions to either Honey Bees or Bumblebees.

Jerry Bromenshenk
The University of Montana-Missoula

P.S.  It is unfortunate that the cost of the shots is high enough that
most Doctors advise simply staying away from bees.  Some of my colleagues
do field work in remote areas of distant countries. They have opted for
the shots - why worry when it can be corrected (at least for many).