Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:35:42 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Polygonum cuspidatum (Japanese Knotweed) is HUGELY invasive.
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/weeds/aqua015.html

For those who don't know, Peter Borst and I both live in New York State although something like 200 miles apart.  Along Rt88 near the Binghamton Exit, one can find stands of Japanese Knotweed (we called it Japanese Bamboo when we were kids) growing along the river for about 3 exits (15 miles?).  It's everywhere!  It is just starting to come into bloom and produces a dark honey resembling buckwheat in color and somewhat in flavor.  In is a good honey for those who don't mind dark honey.  Stands of knotweed can yield copious harvests!  This is a fact recognized by label makers who print add-on, varietals labels, proclaiming "I love Japanese Knotweed Honey!"

From a beekeeper's perspective Knotweed is a great plant vs. an unwanted invader.  It ranks up there with purple loosestrife, gold star thistle and knapweed!  And yes, it is an escaped, exotic invasive.  Control is nearly impossible.  If one is serious about eradicating the plant, the only resort is herbicides, and it usually takes multiple applications.  I am currently battling a stand that has grown in my yard since I was a kid.  I have left it alone for years, but have finally succumbed to neighborly pressure to eradicate the stand that is invading across property boundaries.  My local municipality refused the cuttings at the compost bins because it is so invasive (although the invasion comes from the rhizome root stock, not the stems).  My municipality is not known for their brain trust.

GREAT honey plant.  Obnoxious and highly successful invader.  If it's in your area, have honey supers at the ready!

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2