From:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:14:37 -0500
Greetings,
I am always amazed at the problems some people give themselves when mixing
sugar syrup.
If one uses the metric system then it is 2 kg of sugar to one kilo of water.
One litre of water weighs one kilo! Hence the metric system!  No need to
think of cwt. ,stones, pounds and ounces, nor quarts and gallons Imperial or
U.S.
As for heating the water, it is not really necessary either. I would
(before l switched to ready mixed syrup) put 300 litres of water ( a honey
barrel and a half) into my tank on the truck and start up a 50mm. gas driven
pump which recirculated the water in the tank, then add 15 bags of sugar
(40kgs. each). When the last bag was in l would close the tank and go and
feed, All the while the pump would be recirculating the syrup. Upon arriving
at the yard the mixture would contain no crystals. I had a beekeeping friend
visit once and he told me quite categorically that the system could not
possibly work. Upon arriving at the first yard he inspected every drop of
syrup and to his amazement could detect no crystals. Of course l do not
claim credit for this system, it is one l saw a Tegart's in Alberta. I have
used the system for frame feeders, top feeders and also barrel feeding
without any problems. Now that l purchase syrup, I use "tote"bins on the
truck and fill the barrels using just gravity. A little slower than pumping,
but l fill two barrels at a time. It's nice to be in the bee yard without
all the noise of blowers and pumps etc.
Peter.
thinking l may have said all this a few years back??