From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:58:01 +0900

>In his book _Honey_in_the-Comb_ Killion states that this is a genetic
>trait.  He would work to cull the bees who left no air pocket between
>honey and cappings from his breeding stock.  I highly recommend
>Killion's book for all beekeepers, whether they intend to produce comb
>honey or not.  Above and beyond comb honey tips, the book is full of
>valuable general beekeeping tips, including a nice section on raising
>your own queens.  _Honey_in_the_Comb_ is available from Dadant Press.

I understand from my research that Caucasian bees leave air space resulting
in white comb whereas the Italian race does not.  I have no choice about
using Ligurians for comb honey as no other race of bees is permitted on
Kangaroo Island as this is a sanctuary for the pure Ligurian and find that
the comb honey still gets good customer acceptance - perhaps because comb
honey is so scarce there are no standards of perfection.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]