From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 15:43:30 -0500
>>within a few days the unused sugar was fissing, a sure sign of fermentation.
>>Now if the bees got to it, you can be sure dysentry would result. Another
>>way would to be to feed caramelised sugar or honey,
>

>I am glad you mentioned this. I am buying several hundred supers from a
>fellow and about 20 of them have fermented honey in them. He said I could
>just let the bees rob the honey for stores. Is this correct, or will my
>girls get sick? I have not been able to find anything in the books...

I wouldn't do it! I am a firm believer in only feeding my bees good stuff.
Are you sure it is fermented? There is a strange yeasty sweet smell if it
has turned.Has anybody else had experience of feeding old honey, and it's
effect on the bees. Joke coming up!!! Why do beekeepers refer to" my girls"
when there should be only one? Explain!!
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *