From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:01:24 -0500
Bob writes:
> Hot hives are not common today even in the commercial operations in Mexico.

I wonder how you get that idea? Do you go to Mexico and work bees? My information comes from Dr. Guzman-Novoa who assured me that Africanized bees are no good for American style beekeeping.

He also points out that while Brazilian honey production has skyrocketed, it is not due to greater productivity of African bees. It is due to the fact that European bees never prospered in Brazil. Now there are thousands of times as many hives, but the per hive production is NOT as good as European bees.

Bob writes:
> Many have spent time in the yards of Dee Lusby and report her bees are manageable.

We saw Dean's videos of the Arizona bees. They went in dressed to the max, prepared for the worst, and within minutes the bees went berserk. Bees were attacking the camera with a fury I have rarely seen except from hives that were run over by a truck.

Anyway, the argument is pointless. The ABF and the AHPA put a stop to imports from Australia for lesser reasons and I doubt that they will turn around and welcome bees from Mexico. Do you think they have no clout at all? Nobody in the US wants bees from Mexico. The almond growers made no effort to support importation from Australia, when APHIS called for comments.

PLB