From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:36:18 -0700
Pete, I find the factors that affect gene expression to be a
fascinating subject, and very apropos to bees.

The factors include maternal transgenerational epigenetics, DNA
methylation, and siRNA silencing and moderation of expression.  All of
these may are may not be part of the genome, yet can be passed on *for
several generations* without any direct change in the genes (alleles).

An example that I use is that of the California Live Oak tree.  The
leaves have smooth edges, except where deer have browsed on them.  The
stimulus of deer saliva causes the leaves to regrow with prickly
edges.  There is no genetic change in the leaf buds, but a difference
in expression *of existing alleles* due to epigenetic change in
response to an external chemical stimulus.

So my question is, what kinds of epigenetic changes occur in bees when
exposed to drought, parasites, or miticides?

Randy Oliver