From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2018 13:02:25 -0700
Hi Bill, great update on the nectar flow and cultivar sources in your area! Makes me long for my younger days in Michigan! We use to have many of the same sources as you! Our Fall goldenrod flow was our Fall pollen glut and dark honey source.

Here in No. CA, East Bay Area, Livermore, our Jan-early Feb was abnormally hot, then mid Feb-late Apr was wet and cold, more than normal. A lot of our early almond, peach, plumb, apricot, lemon, etc blossoms were awakened then chilled and blown off and so our spring flow was not so great! Our CA mustard though was great to get colonies going. My colonies are located on the edge of town so I get both native and residential flora! We had a descent May and okay June and the cut comb is filling up. Many of us lost several new queens and I had difficulty introducing several Saskatraz queens, in the end loosing 3 out of 5!

We are currently heading into our hottest/dry season but hopefully the flowering trees/plants in town will be enough to finish off the cut comb!

Scott Ball
Livermore, CA