From:
John Volpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:19:11 -0800
Further to Maja's query I would be interested in hearing responses on this
subject. Also, can anyone recommend a general \ review source for bee
genetics? Specifically, inter-hive gene flow investigations, strain specific
protein \ molecular markers, quantitative trait loci investigations, allele
conservation and breeding structures and so on. I know this is a broad scope
but if there isn't a concise source out there it sure would be a good
project for someone, especially in view of what must be a very dramatic
genetic bottle-neck in the form of tracheal and varroa mites. Any thoughts
appreciated.

Cheers, John Volpe

At 04:18 PM 12/4/96 +0100, you wrote:
>I am looking for data about Brother Adam and his work on Buckfast bee.
>My question is: Is Buckfast bee defined as a strain or as a hybrid. I am
>looking for morphometric, physiologic, biologic, behavioural and
>economical characteristics that distinguish that bee from other races.
>Also, if enzymatic, protein or DNA markers were examined, I would like to
>get information about results/references.
>If Buckfast bee already was a subject of discussion, I will appreciate if
>anyone can give me a clue where are the old issues of the Bee-L.
>I would greatly appreciate any help.
>With thanks in advance,
>
>                        Maja Drazic

>UNIVERSITY OF ZAGREB
>FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE         Tel: ..385-1-23 93 860
>Dept. for beekeeping           Fax: ..385-1-215 300
>Svetosimunska 25               e-Mail: [log in to unmask]
>10000 Zagreb ,Croatia                  [log in to unmask]
John P. Volpe
Marine and Aquatic Sciences Section
Centre for Environmental Health
Dept. of Biology - U. of Victoria
PO Box 3020, Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA  V8W 3N5
TEL. (250) 721 7098
FAX. (250) 472 4075
Email [log in to unmask]

From a brochure of a car rental firm in Tokyo:

       When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn.
       Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles
       your passage then tootle him with vigor.