From:
Vladimir Ptacek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:19:21 CST
On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 23:54:25 -0500, Excerpts from BEE-L wrote:

>From:         Brett D Bannon <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Have raised alfalfa in the past and have noted that at different times
>honey bees like certain varieties better (or they like different blooming
>periods better??).  Are there varieties that produce better for honeybees
>and are more attractive to them?
>
>Brett D. Bannon

In the past I did some research on alfalfa attractiveness for pollinators
and could see differences among individual plants. Using the clone material
we were able to find plants attractive and nonattractive for honey bees and
simillarly attractive and nonattractive for solitary bees (Rophites canus).
The main attractant for honey bees was nectar and I was not able to find
what attracted the solitary bees because of limited extend of the trials.
In the material originated from different varieties we were able to find
origins more or less attractive for honey bees and solitary bees.
In all observations the seed production was highly correlated with
visits of solitary bees. In our country Kropacova (Kubisova) did some
research earlier, too, and found some differences in attractiveness of
alfalfa varieties for honey bees.

I alwaus foud negative correlations between numbers of honey bees and
solitary bees on alfalfa flowers. I suppose the cause of this consists in
the fact that solitary bees collecting both, pollen and nectar, open (and
pollinate) most of the visited flowers which stop the nectar secretion then
and became unatractive for honey bees. Consequently, honey bees as nectar
collectors can be found in higher numbers on the parts of the field where
solitary bees are less abundant. If solitary bees are not present, flowers
remain unppollinated for longer time the field looks pretty flowering with
a pleasant smell, honey yield can be succesfull in such cases, but the seed
production will be ussually low.

Best regards,
Vladimir Ptacek
Fac. Sci., Dept. Anim. Physiol.       E.mail: [log in to unmask]
Masaryk University                    phone:  ..420/5/41129 562
611 37 Brno, Czech Republic           fax:    ..420/5/41211 214