Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2017 22:14:00 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
> On Dec 1, 2017, at 9:55 AM, Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> I think you hit the nail on the head. Too much insulation was found to trap moisture in the hives. A lot of beekeepers went to little or no insulation but plenty of ventilation. Richard Taylor used to brag about his beat up old boxes with cracks and holes as being better than the tight equipment most prefer. 

We should follow science then, rather than what old timers say, :-) I’ve been experimenting with the Lyson plastic hive this year and one of the things that bothered me about it is inability to figure out how much ventilation to provide it. During the summer it wasn’t an issue, because I had a screen bottom over a solid board, plus fully opened entrance, but as soon as cold snaps hit, it became dicey. Alas, a good humidity and temperature sensor (Broodminder, no association with them) showed clearly an immediate elevation of humidity levels from 65-70% to 80% as soon as I put on the entrance reducer and closed off the gap in between the screen bottom and the solid board. Off went one of the inner vent covers and the humidity dropped back to 70%. I’m still thinking its’ too high for winter.

Why figuring out venting in the poly hive is an issue? The inner cover comes with 7, count them seven, vents (wish I could attach a picture). Each is a 4” diameter circle with a loose styrofoam cover. Do you leave them all off, 1, or some number in between? No clue, but the experiment is continuing, :-) One thing for sure, this hive didn’t get any insulation for winter yet the temperature inside remains at steady 50F in the upper box (it’s a two deep configuration), even thought we’ve already heady plenty of nights with temperatures in the 20s.

Przemek

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2