From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:54:17 +1100
On 13/12/2010 3:20 AM, randy oliver wrote:
> May I ask you again for details on experiments that you've run that actually
> compared the buildup of nucs (or the spam can of bees) in boxes of various
> sizes, but made of the same material--so that any insulation effect is held
> constant?

I wouldn't attempt to comment on cold climate beekeeping, Australian
mainland having very little really cold weather and me being in a
subtropical damp area.  That said there are always the other confounding
effects on hives.

Before we got chalkbrood and laterley small hive beetle I routinely made
up increase in the spring by splitting a good hive into nine, one frame
of brood and one of honey plus seven foundation or drawn combs plus
queen cell.  By Christmas put on a super.

Nowadays I have to make them up in nucs, four frames of emerging brood
plus extra bees (more than was covering the combs).  Then put them into
hive bodies when they are very strong nucs, and hope. I have also found
that it is better when I put them out, if the other five combs are
foundation rather than drawn comb.  I assume that the foundation gives
less room for hive beetle to hide.

Surely varroa must make it hard to tease out the best US/Canada
overwintering method/s?

Geoff Manning