From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:32:20 -0500
Here’s my take on the whole Steiner Anthroposophy Biodynamic
agricultural deal.
Steiner was interested in many things but the one thing he was interested
in over all other things was the spiritual evolution of human beings.  All
the so called spiritual scientific stuff was a product of the search for
and the work towards this one end, which was to realize, as much as
possible, the next stage in mankind’s spiritual evolution.  There are many
avenues and levels of approach to the work which Steiner considered of
vital importance to the future of mankind.  Something like biodynamic
farming may come with what many would consider kooky, other worldly claims
that are completely beyond the reach of normal scientific thinking, but as
I understand it, the point would be to take as much of it as you could
assimilate on an intellectual level and work with it without prejudgment
and in doing so gain a deeper intuitive level of understanding of the
relationships of earthly, spiritual and yes cosmic things.  Steiner called
for not so much belief as a suspension of disbelief regarding the things he
espoused.  It wasn’t so important to him whether or not you believed it as
it was that you approached it as though you did not disbelieve it.  Only
then would you be able to gain your own direct experience of a spiritual or
as some would say a super intuitive nature.
     You certainly can not take any of what he said out of context and hope
to gain anything from it.  It really has to be taken as a whole and that is
asking a lot as anyone who has scratched the surface of Steiner would
attest.  There are a lot of people who find the exercise worth while,
though.  I am not a practitioner of Anthroposophy and I know almost nothing
about dynamic farming, but from what I’ve seen of it through our kids
having gone to a Waldorf school, it is certainly nothing to be afraid or
even wary of.  I see it as a normal healthy search on some people’s part
for deeper meaning in life and the every day activities of life, like
farming and beekeeping.  At the most basic level it’s just another way of
looking at things, and for some it has value.  Personally I do not like to
go too far beyond just what works and what doesn’t work.  I’ve noticed,
though, that what works for some doesn’t seem to work for others, and I
find that really interesting.

Steve Noble