Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:58:28 -0500
Walter Says,

> After all we've all been told to dress in layers to protect from the cold
> and sometimes there's material in clothing such as e.g. thinsulate that
> does
> the trick instead of many layers. Still if one remains in the cold long
> enough the heat loss begins to increase regardless of the garb.

    I belive the theory here is layers provide still air barriers
(insulation). Actually the it is not that the heat loss increases (R value
remains relatively constant), the heat source is finite and can only keep up
with the rate of loss for a given period of time.

> If there wasn't substantial heat produced then the humidity wouldn't be
> great enough and the dew point wouldn't be reached with condensation
> fromation, thus a requirement for an upper entrance and most important the
> size of the upper entrance.

    There are some variable factors here. size of cluster (heat generated),
cavity size and insulation. Enough heat and enough insulation condensation
is not a problem so one can get away without upper entrance ( BUT RISKY).
    Thanks for the post Walter, keeps us thinking.

Alden Marshall
B-Line Apiaries
Hudson, NH