From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:55:35 -0800
experiences
> > of one generation can indeed be transmitted not
> just to the next
> > generation, but to subsequent generations.

Interesting evidence of life experiences adaptability
occurring within a single generation, thinking here of
the champion rock climber Tori Allen.  Tori grew up in
Africa and would play in the trees with monkeys
everyday. Her arms and fingers and toes grew to be
longer than normal due to her body adapting to the
activity.

> With small cells, we are not teaching them or
> changing their DNA, we are
> just changing foundation cell size and "forcing" the
> bees to accommodate.

You need to "force" bees down because they have been
"forced" up.  Honeybees will in-fact rapidly adapt
within a generation or two to the cell size and other
environmental forage related factors (as I show in the
example above with Tori Allen, adaptation can occur
within the same generation).

Speaking of small cell,,,  Rinderer has shown that
drones of sympatric African and European subspecies
differed in body mass.  It is conceivable that mating
behavior of drones based on size is partly responsible
for assortative mating and maintenance of races of
honey bees.   Kerr and Bueno has also observed a
limited degree of positive assortative mating between
subspecies.  This assortative mating pattern could
have powerful ecological and evolutionary consequences
for your breeding, if a beekeeper should know how to
capitalize on assortative mating.  This is the 'one of
the' basic principals behind small cell, better
breeding in future generations, IMO it's just not as
simple as cell size.

Fortunately, my DNA is
> not affected. At
> least I hope not, but the tight pants....

But you are no doubt adapting the way you walk in
these tight pants.  ;>)  (another example of the
ability to adapt within the same generation ;>)

Who was looking for the link on how smart bees are?
Here's a few:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/busy-and-brainy/2005/10/10/1128796449255.html

http://www.islamicvoice.com/november.98/science.htm

http://www.apiservices.com/articles/us/au_%20smells_trigger_memory.htm