Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 18:38:18 -0700
Hi Bob,

I believe they are using foggers to mist the FGMO into the hives.  I think
some are happy and others are not due to the frequency of application.  I
used FGMO for two years without any other treatments and good results were
obtained (hives lived).  My six controls all died,  one held out for quite
some time but still perished. FGMO colonies survived 3 lost to starvation.
Used treatment on top bars at 2.5cc per colony as starting point and
increased amount as colonies grew stronger (no two are alike in the real
world). I found that treatment must be applied every 15 days in this form of
application if no other treatments are used are varroa population kept under
control.  The disadvantage is the labor involved and the frequency of
application particularly with large numbers of colonies.  I discontinued the
use of FGMO because of the amount of labor.  It is a bit disruptive to
hives, too (they survived,but with a little lower production). Treating 50
colonies every 15 days is very time consuming.  However using a fogger would
allow larger numbers to be treated.  Not certain of the frequency of
application for fogging.  For more info on the fogging method go to Barry
Birkey's site and look under the section of FGMO were some up to date info
is/ was.

> type of treatment the article is referring to. Should I have been spraying
> the mineral oil on my bees this spring instead of as dormate oil on my
> fruit trees?
 reply:

With the rate of resistance to chemicals it might be something to try /or
look into. Especially in areas where large losses are occurring.  Many say
FGMO doesn't work.  I believe most don't apply enough and with strict timing
rain or shine for proper control.

Clay