From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 08:19:04 -0500
Mike asked:
 When does old comb need to be replaced and can one plan for that in
expected low honey
price years?

When I first started keeping bees (1950's) the old timers only replaced
brood comb when the comb had problems. 30  to 50 year old brood comb was
common.

Certain beekeepers always replaced a percent of comb ( perfect comb also)
and others were replacing comb to keep bigger bees in their outfits but
these people in my opinion were a small segment of the industry.

In the 60 to 70's brood comb was replaced as beekeepers started saying with
research from researchers such as Elbert R.Jaycox  (author Beekeeping in the
Midwest and Beekeeping in Illinois)that bees raised in old brood comb were
smaller. Up to 17%.

Many thought at the time that a bee 17% smaller would not produce honey like
the normal size bee would. The movement to replace comb on a regular basis
to keep those inferior smaller bees out of the apiary and the movement to
larger cell sizes continued.

I personally never thought a percentage of 17% smaller bees were of a
concern.

In Europe comb has been replaced on a regular time schedule for years in
many places but not the case in the U.S. in my opinion.

Many (not all beekeepers) do see the value of replacing comb *now* to remove
any contaminates left from chemical use in the hive.

Many beekeepers will not replace comb until they get to a contamination
level which problems start developing. As USDA people (Jeff Pettis and
others) have said the level has been determined (in their opinion) and has
been reached (in cases of illegal coumaphos use) as real problems have been
seen.

I could go on for hours on the subject but I believe I have given Mike and
others the history (in my opinion) of brood comb replacement (U.S.) and
things to consider as to when to replace old brood comb.

Wait for the low honey price years to replace comb is one option. All across
the Midwest we are seeing a below average honey crop. In many areas about
half of last years crop. Kind of ironic with high honey prices comes about
half a honey crop which makes income about like a year before high honey
prices.

The old saying "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched" certainly
applies to a honey crop.

I am thankful for a crop (which is already in supers) which will keep me
from having to buy honey on the open market to supply my stores and
hopefully extra to sell in bulk. All my extra bulk has been spoken for
already .

My friends feel the same way as U.S. honey bulk prices are still creeping
higher.

Bob