Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:11:42 -0600
> Sometimes we add the supers of foundation immediately.  Other times, as
> soon as we get them off the truck.  It appears to me that bees must
> "learn" alfalfa blooms, and that the process takes a few days, but I could
> easily be in error.  I only notice the delay specifically in alfalfa.

I am still surprised that the bees cluster out from instead of moving
promptly into the supers to cluster. I can't recall having seen that after
driving bees down from three or four boxes into one and then adding a box of
foundation. Seems to me that they always went up quite well.  Of course,
some tended to crowd the entrance for a while, but no huge beard.

Are the temperatures hot when you do this?  What frames and foundation do
you use?  Always the same?

Also, our Ross Rounds frames were used frames reloaded with new foundation,
and had been in hives before.  Some had a bit of wax ladder.  All the same,
I also seem to recall the bees going up into whole boxes of new Pierco
standards, and on alfalfa.

Is all your foundation in new frames?  Does it matter whether you add the
supers before or after trucking?  Does it help to wait a day or two before
trucking, or do you have to do it all in one trip?  Are you using tons of
smoke?