Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:20:53 EST
Grant,
Gosh, you are as LONG-WINDED as I am, so I hope I don't have to apologize.

When one WIRED frames, put pins in the end bars, and then "heated" the
foundation
into place each years for 50-100 colonies for over 40 years, I was SO HAPPY
when
Dadant introduced PLASTICELL about 20-25 years ago that I "jumped in with
both feet".  Now, over 20 years later, I am sorry that it was not available
when I started
beekeeping 71 years ago in June 1932.  Greatest improvement in beekeeping
that I
have seen.  Now, due to 5 strokes, I only have 20 colonies, but every colony
has ALL frames made with PLASTICELL, and most colonies are 8 stories tall, 80
frames, by
April 15th.  I haven't used any deeps for over 20 years, NOT because of age
or a bad back, but I just wanted ONE SIZE FRAME that could be used in the
brood area or the super area; and hence my brood chambers are 3 medium hive
bodies the year around.

I have been privileged to teach, give talks, make demonstrations ALL FREE OF
CHARGE over most of the U.S. and some foreign countries until the strokes
disabled my walking and talking.  However, while I was giving these talks and
teaching, I was constantly dumbfounded by the vast number of beekeepers
(beeHAVERS) that
did not understand that bees MUST HAVE A NECTAR FLOW OR ARTIFICIAL NECTAR
FLOW OF 1:1 SUGAR SYRUP to make them build comb!  Honey bees do not do a job
until it is necessary.  They only need ciomb for two purposes: 1) for the
queen to lay
eggs in it, and 2) for the storage of food (nectar, honey, and pollen).  Bee
scientists
have found that honey bees have to consume about 8 pounds of honey (NOT
nectar) to
produce and construct 1 pound of wax comb; and this fact alone prevents bees
from
just dashing off and building comb UNLESS THERE IS AN IMMEDIATE NEED.

I have used other plastic foundation, and don't like it as much as Dadant's
PLASTICELL; and I absolutely despise the complete plastic frame and refuse to
use them.  If I had to go back to using wax foundation, it was such a pain in
the fanny, I might give up beekeeping.

Going a bit further, why won't beekeepers spend 30¢ for a pound of sugar to
feed bees to build comb, a big population of bees, and a highly improved
chance that they will get through next winter in great shape rather than hope
"nature will take are of the problem"?  Nectar is SUCROSE and water.  Sucrose
is the chemical name for
table sugar.  SUGAR is by far the best food that one can give bees, because
it never
causes dysentery, Nosema, or some other "upset stomach".

In Maryland, where my apiary is, our ONLY nectar flow is April 15th to as
late as
June 15th, and nothing else the other 10 months.  I encourage all my MANY
students
to start a colony by April 15th on ALL foundation and CONTINUOUSLY feed that
colony 1:1 sugar syrup until Labor Day in September.  By doing this, they
feed about
50 pounds of sugar, $15.00, and the bees often produce 40-60 drawn combs from
PLASTICELL foundation, and those colonies are real powerhouses the following
spring in honey production, many producing over 100 pounds/colonyin a state
whose
average is only 29 pounds.

I have written a lot of words here just to say: FEED THOSE NEW BEES
CONSTANTLY, even when the nectar flow is on, if you want to get plastic
foundation drawn, and feed them ALL summer to get your supers drawn into
drawn comb and abundant winter stores.  So you invest $15 or even $50 in
sugar, but you have got lots of frames of drawn comb and abundant winter
stores when November arrives, and READY FOR NEXT YEAR!

One of my favorite sayings is: DRAWN COMB is every beekeeper's MOST VALUABLE
POSSESSION!

I hope I have helped.

George Imirie, Retired Scientist
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Starting my 71st year of beekeeping in Maryland near the WHITE HOUSE
Past President of Maryland State Beekeepers
Founder and still President, 19 years, of Maryland largest local bee
Association
with 185 paid members that meets 11 month of the year, and has 10 Master
Beekeeper members of the total of only 133 that have been certified in the
past 25 years, and I am PROUD of them!
Author of George's month;y PINK PAGES @
www.beekeeper.org/george_imirie/index.html
Author of American Beekeeping Federation Newsletter Hobbyist Tips