From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:10:20 -0400
I have also posted that my bees on commercial canola here in PEI seem to be
doing fine.  I do not see any difference in winter survival compared with
yards not on canola, and I have been looking.

The canola here that I have bees on is all seed treated with thiamethoxam.
It is a neonicotinoid, but it is quite different than imidacloprid and
clothianidin with respect to half life.

"Thiamethoxam residues were also found in the water collected from the 0.90
and 1.80 m lysimeters of both soils. Treated soil was placed in petri-plate,
brought to field capacity moisture and then exposed to UV and sunlight.
Residues of thiamethoxam in soil dissipated with half-lives of 2.5, 19.2 and
53.8 days under UV, sunlight and dark condition, respectively."

Do you know what is being used in Alberta, Allen?

When they were growing seed canola here, and I was pollinating it, I found
the honey rank.  The two varieties they were crossing must have been older.
The commercial canola is much more acceptable.

Stan