From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:29:37 -0600
I have one of the newer Kelley hive tools, and the hook does come in handy,
but for my money there's no beating the traditional design - still under
five bucks from most suppliers, and in my opinion one of mankind's greatest
inventions. I wrote this tribute a couple of years ago:

It seems mankind shall never cease production of its gadgetries,
But I say you can have the lot - the simple hive tool's all I've got.
I'm not one to exaggerate, so you must trust me when I state:
There's almost naught that can't be done with this inspired invention.

No glamour queen, but I'd opine, its beauty is its plain design --
Robust as a Missouri mule, but more forbearing of the fool
Who leaves it lying in the glade, to mutilate the passing blade,
While it alone is scarcely scored, such gross abuse can it afford.

I always keep this tool close by - tight screw to loose, stuck drawer to
pry.
Its value is ubiquitous, so order you a great surplus.
It's been employed to pull a nail, uncap a beer, unlid a pail,
Though my wife gives the evil eye, to see it serve her pumpkin pie!

From scaling fish to chopping ice, there's endless work for this device;
By listing, I do not profess, to limit here its usefulness.
I guarantee that it will earn its value back at every turn;
In fact, your hive tool's sure to please, if ever you procure some bees!

Eugene Makovec
Villa Ridge MO