From:
Jim Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 14:55:32 EDT
        I'm also interested in the answer. One other variable in queen
introduction to consider is the state of the hive.

        - Queen replacement - bees are not missing queen substance yet

        - Recently queenless with brood still emerging. Emerging brood
                will attend the new queen and make introduction more
                likely

        - Hopelessly queenless with no emerging brood.

        Candy up in case attendants die, they won't block entrance.

        My experience so far has been one failed introduction to
a hive with no queen and emerging brood. I just placed the queen and
attendants in the hive. No go.

        I'm awaiting a queen. This time I will add two frames of emerging
brood, to supply new attendants, and place the cage between the frames. I
plan to remove the attendants to help things along.

        One other approach for tough introductions is a screen queen
cage pushed into a frame over emerging brood with only the queen. The idea
being that the emerging brood will attend the queen and by the time the
bees dig out the screen everything is fine. I'm toying with using this
approach.

        Comment anyone.

                Jim Moore
                aiag.enet.dec.com