From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:10:02 -0400
> Peter, can you please explain why the study was looking at bee population instead of varroa population?

They weren't looking at bees INSTEAD OF varroa. I looked back over what I wrote and I cannot for the life of me see how you could have come to that conclusion. The primary focus was on the possible effect of small cell size on varroa. It says that in the title and everywhere else. They ALSO looked at bee populations, bee weight, etc. As you would expect, the small cell bees were SMALLER. So even if there were more of them, honey production would not necessarily be improved by more but smaller bees. Honey production is not directly correlated to colony population in any case. There are other factors.

Factors examined:

Beginning colony mite popn.
Adult bee weight
Ending cm2 brood
Ending cells of brood
Ending mites per 24 h sticky sheet
Ending mites per 100 brood cells
Ending colony mite popn.
Ending mites in brood
Ending % mite popn. in brood
Ending mites per 100 adult bees

Small-cell comb technology does not impede Varroa population growth