From:
Carmenie Stemmler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 18:21:10 -0400
Hi there,

I have a question for the list.  The formic acid pads on my bees were put
in for the last two weeks and then removed.  The were dried out, meaning
most of the acid had evaporated.  Is this treatment probably long enough,
in terms of varroa and trachael mites,  or will I have to reapply in the
fall?  Any opinion would be appreciated.  In case this is of any help, the
apistan from last fall was taken out a few weeks ago, not recommended I
know, according to the package at least, but I left it so, since the
neighbor who had 100 hives with 2 miles of mine lost 2/3 of them.  None of
mine died, except one that I didn't wrap or give an upper entrance in order
to kill it, since it was so mean.  Most of the hives came out of winter
well and could have gone into pollination.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Carm.

P.S.  The location of the bees is Markdale, Ontario, Canada.  By the way,
how are bee related things looking for this year, nectar flows, hive
strength, wintering success, etc.?