From:
Dave Burrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:40:21 -0700
Kirk it is an unfortunate fact that some of the worst weeds we deal with in
this country are also very good honeybee plants.  The Knapweeds are one
example of this.  This is also the reason that the greenies would like to
remove the European Honey Bee from North America.
The damage done to the environs of our range lands by these weed is huge.
It is not possible to exterminate them with any control measures.  What is
hoped for is the same level of control that is exerted on native plant
species.  Bio diversity is a critical element in our world.  Bees that have
diverse forage are healthier that bees on a mono crop.
In our area bee keepers are blamed for the spread of Sweet Clover.  Purple
Loosestrife has the potential to decimate our wetlands by out competing
plant and animal species found in those wetlands.  Canada Thistle is a
terrible weed for range as well as crop land.  Honeybees love it.
Dave
South East Idaho