Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:31:06 GMT
From: randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>

>In answer to your question, I don't see any negative
results when I use thymol and organic acids.  So the answer is based upon
practical experience and observation, rather than hypothetical
considerations.  I do see problems in the hives after fungicide
applications.

Hi Randy....good point.

1.  Are the "problems" you see in the hives after fungicide use have to do with pollen storage?  Similar to what Michael and Bob are describing?

2.  It's possible that fungicides on crops (and note that some contact fungicides also function as systemics) inhibit the very early stages of fermentation (where molds, yeasts, and fungi are primary components) that (at least begin to) occur before the bee (and corbicular pollen) make it back to the hive (where the sterol production that you often talk about comes from), and that "in hive antifungal agents" aren't generally carried in high enough concentrations by the bees to cause the same effect.  ...or, it could be something other than the antifungal action of the Ag fungicides that is causing the issues you are seeing (surficants, other "inert" ingredients).

3.  Dark orange pollen (as Michael describes), and pollen capped by propolis (as Bob describes) fit the description of "entombed pollen", of which fungicides seem to be a factor.

deknow

P.S. Randy, I used the shift key just for you :)