Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:34:35 +0000
PB - "Many beekeepers have told me....."

Peter, a discussion of how heat flows in a hive is very different from a discussion on the merits, in fact the generally observed benefits in a northen climate, of insulated wrapping. So to make the leap from one discsussion to the other with a tossed off" some live and some don't", " use a prayer blanket" retort  is an academic travesty at best, and a bellicose rather than informed discussion of beekeeping at worst. Especially when in the same breath you cite the Wisconsin work to support that they will survive quite well. I think we may agree with the concept that the bees primary intention is to just heat their cluster, but thermodynamics cant be denied, their surroundings will be affected if only incidentally, insulating a hive will effect the system in ways that can be explained by grade 10 physics.

Again, that is a different discussion from that  of its value from a husbandy perspective.

You frequently cite literature, which is good( although seem to have ignored an entire body of work in your discussion) But in this instance,  what do YOU say about your hives? Do you wrap them, what is survival with or without  in YOUR experience? You are in the Ithaca area I beleive?

Greg Hawkins

Everton ON

Where today, I am wrapping my hives - better late than never