From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 15:10:57 -0400
>As a rank newcomer to beekeeping and the wonderful BeeList (but not to
>biology, as I have a PhD and keep bees as  a hobby), I'm very curious to
>know exactly what the problem is with finding genetically modified
>components in pollen.  Have such components been demonstrated to cause
>harm if ingested by anyone, including bees and people?  Is fear that it
>might possibly cause harm driving the perceived problem, or is it
>something more complicated/substantive?

The first reason is there is a great deal of consumer rejection of GM
products in Europe. Having GM product in the honey could result in a loss of
many potential buyers.

The second reason is there could be dangers of bees spreading GM pollen when
the hives are moved. Bees are often covered with stray pollen and I would
thing it was quite possible for bees to be the source of spread of the DNA
to areas not intended.

I think that a fear of unknown effects of the GM products is valid. The
long-term problems of many chemical agents are just now being identified
(i.e. Dioxin) and it would not surprise me to have GM spread like wildfire
and then find out years later that there are horrible problems.

When dealing with a nations food supply a healthy level of paranoia is a
good thing.