From:
Christopher Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 18:27:59 EST
1. Insulation works both ways. Do those who add insulation to their hives in
winter  cover the sunny side as well as the rest?  Is the occasional dose of
solar heating helpful in allowing bees access to new areas of stores and avoid
isolation starvation? I have an apiary on a cherished (organic) but exposed
site.  I have erected windbreaks of plastic greenhouse shading netting but am
undecided whether to do more.  Unless convincingly advised otherwise I shall
probably drape plastic sacks over the N.E. and W sides and leave the S side
with the entrance exposed to the midday sun.  This should reduce moisture on
the hive bodies and thus reduce wind chill.
2. A lady in my village knows she has a dangerously strong allergy to bees
stings and yet is about to start beekeeping.  She finds bees fascinating.  As
a musical person (which I am not) she described to me the notes emitted by a
curious bee as compared to a bee about to sting.  I think she is mad, but I
don't know (m)any people I would describe as entirely sane.
If my son shows me how to do it I shall print off a copy of George Imrie's
mail to encourage her.  Is there anything from these bee sting allergists on
the Web?
Chris Slade